Lab results on Sunday found a dubious dish dubbed “death dumplings” after at least one woman died contained the potentially fatal salmonella bacteria.
After sale of the dumplings in southeast metro Bangkok was blamed for one death and several illnesses, the lab results, which came out yesterday confirmed they contained salmonella, according to Prakit Wongprasert of the Samut Prakan provincial health office.
Earlier this month, 66-year-old Thanu Changpoopanga-ngam suffered severe diarrhea and was taken to a hospital. Her condition was allegedly caused by eating a dumpling bought from a local vendor. Others in Thanu’s family, who also ate the dumplings, said they also had severe diarrhea.
Thanu died a few days later. Her death, led the media to dub the dim sum snack as ‘death dumplings,’ after several others came forward to say they had taken sick from eating them.
Local police said they have questioned witnesses and summoned the unidentified dumpling vendor. Charges have yet to be filed, as the police said further investigation is needed.