Two boys remained in critical condition after they and other students caught fire trying to light a bonfire at a scout camp in Nong Bua Lamphu province, an incident which some parents have filed negligence charges over.
Three days after five boys were injured while allegedly following a teacher’s terrible advice regarding a bonfire at a recent scout camp in the tiny northeastern province, two of them are still seriously injured and being treated at a hospital.
The incident occurred on the evening of Feb. 3 at the Non Sang Witthayakarn School’s football stadium, where hundreds of lower-secondary students had camped out overnight.
More than 600 Matthayom 1-3 students attended, and most of those injured were 14.
According to the school director Samnao Tiamduankhae, the accident occurred after a group of students failed to light the bonfire, and a supervising teacher suggested they soak a piece of wood in benzine.
One of the boys dipped a piece of wood in the gasoline and lit it, but the flames set fire to the shirts of several students, prompting them to scatter in panic before someone went to their rescue.
One man said his nephew suffered burns to 90% of his body and has been put on a ventilator under close watch by doctors at Srinagarind Hospital in Khon Kaen province.
The man said that he was waiting for an explanation from the camp supervisor about how the accident happened.
A few families of the victims have filed negligence complaints with the police, according to Capt. Worapong Siripongworanat of Nong Sang police. They also urged officers to find those responsible for the incident that resulted in serious student injuries.
Leave A Reply
You must be logged in as a Coconuts User to comment.