German tourist in Phuket confirmed to be third monkeypox case in Thailand

Photo: Arut Thongsombut
Photo: Arut Thongsombut

A German tourist visiting Phuket was confirmed by health officials on Wednesday to be the third confirmed case of monkeypox in the kingdom.

According to Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control, lab tests confirmed that the unidentified 25-year-old developed symptoms prior to entering the country on July 18. It was reported that he developed symptoms around his genitals that spread to the rest of his body.

He is currently staying at a hospital undergoing quarantine and treatment.

Health officials are currently monitoring those who came into contact with the man. Although Opas says none of them have tested positive yet, he warned that they needed to be in quarantine for 21 days and not come into contact with others.

All three confirmed cases have been men so far, which Opas said is consistent with the World Health Organization’s statement that “98% of all cases are men who have sex with men.”

The first confirmed case was a Nigerian man who was also in Phuket. He later fled from quarantine and was found days later in Phnom Penh. The second was a Thai man in Bangkok who is currently undergoing quarantine and treatment in Vajira Hospital.

Opas also said he is currently coordinating with the Government Pharmaceutical Organization to import vaccines “no later than August.” The vaccines will be divided into two vaccination groups – medical personnel and the other for people who have come into contact with the infected for no more than 14 days.

Subscribe to the WTF is Up in Southeast Asia + Hong Kong podcast to get our take on the top trending news and pop culture from the region every Thursday!



Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

MOST POPULAR