Almost one-third of the entire world’s population has now taken a trip on Bangkok’s BTS Skytrain.
That might be an exaggeration given more than a few repeat customers, but two billion riders have now taken trips on the 15-year-old rapid transit system, according to its operater.
“In it’s first full year of operation, total patronage of the system was 17.54 million trips,” the Bangkok Mass Transit System said in a release. “However at present the average number of passengers on a working day is 710,915 trips, and 562,126 on Saturdays, while on Sundays and Public Holidays the system averages 416,557 trips.”
Refill your pass for at least THB100 on Thursday and you could receive one of 50,000 limited edition pens to mark the occasion.
Some more BTS fun facts:
- The BTS is voiced by singer-actress Radklao Armradit.
- There are 37 connecting walkways at 17 stations
- The first 2.2-kilometer extension of the Silom Line from Saphan Taksin to Wongwian Yai Station opened in 2009
- Extension two was five stations along 5.25 kilometers from On Nut to Bearing in 2011.
- The third extension of four stations along 5.25 kilometers from Wongwian Yai to Bang Wa in 2013
- The three extensions have added another 12.75 kilomters to the original distance of 23.5 kilometers.
- In 2013, BTS Siam was the first station to receive advertisement doors.
- The system launched with 35 trains consisting of three cars each. Now there are 52 trains running four cars each.
- Only two women have fallen onto the tracks, and neither died.
- The strange boy who gives everyone safety advice to ignore is called “Nu Duan.”
If you're gonna share your opinions for free on the Internet, why not do it for a chance to win some exciting prizes? Take our 2021 Coconuts Reader Survey now!