The rankings of Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2019 were announced at a ceremony in Singapore last night, and seven of our city’s bars made the list this year.
Named best hotel bar and best bar of the year by The Bar Awards last month, Bangkok’s oldest jazz establishment The Bamboo Bar continues to lead in these industry awards, at no. 8 (up from no. 9 last year).
Also on the list are Thonglor’s theater-themed Backstage Cocktail Bar (no. 20), Silom cocktail lounge Vesper (no. 26) and rum-focused tiki bar Tropic City (no. 31).
Craft cocktail venue in Rabbit Hole secured the 34th spot on the list, followed by Soi Suan Phlu jazz bar Smalls at no. 42 and Chinatown’s Teens of Thailand at no. 48.
Other bars featured on the list are cities across the region, such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Manila, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur.
Asia’s 50 Best Bars is a ranking based on votes from members of Asia’s 50 Best Bars Academy. The organization is made up of mixology experts and media covering the beverage industry, among others. Topping this year’s list is The Old Man from Hong Kong.
Here’s the full list of this year’s rankings:
1. The Old Man (Hong Kong)
2. Manhattan (Singapore)
3. Indulge Experimental Bistro (Taipei, Taiwan)
4. Native (Singapore)
5. Atlas (Singapore)
6. High Five (Tokyo, Japan)
7. Speak Low (Shanghai, China)
8. The Bamboo Bar at Mandarin Oriental (Bangkok, Thailand)
9. Jigger & Pony (Singapore)
10. Quinary (Hong Kong, China)
11. Tippling Club (Singapore)
12. Coa (Hong Kong, China)
13. The SG Club (Tokyo, Japan)
14. Charles H (Seoul, Korea)
15. Gibson (Singapore)
16. Sober Company (Shanghai, China)
17. Bar Benfiddich (Tokyo, Japan)
18. The Wise King (Hong Kong, China)
19. Le Chamber (Seoul, Korea)
20. Backstage Cocktail Bar (Bangkok, Thailand)
21. 28 Hong Kong Street (Singapore)
22. Operation Dagger (Singapore)
23. Bar Trench (Tokyo, Japan)
24. Aha Saloon (Taipei, Taiwan)
25. D. Bespoke (Singapore)
26. Vesper (Bangkok, Thailand)
27. Coley (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
28. Bar Orchard Ginza (Seoul, Korea)
29. Alice Cheongdam (Seoul, Korea)
30. Union Trading Company (Shanghai, China)
31. Tropic City (Bangkok, Thailand)
32. The Pontiac (Hong Kong, China)
33. Lobster Bar & Grill (Hong Kong, China)
34. Rabbit Hole (Bangkok, Thailand)
35. Hope & Sesame (Guangzhou, China)
36. Stockton (Hong Kong, China)
37. The Curator (Manila, Philippines)
38. 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong, China)
39. Union Brasserie, Bakery & Bar (Jakarta, Indonesia)
40. Bar Trigona (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
41. Employees Only (Singapore)
42. Smalls (Bangkok, Thailand)
43. Bar Mood (Taipei, Taiwan)
44. Junglebird (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
45. Draft Land (Taipei, Taiwan)
46. The Other Room (Singapore)
47. Oto (Manila, Philippines)
48. Teens of Thailand (Bangkok, Thailand)
49. Mixology Salon (Tokyo, Japan)
50. The Back Room (Manila, Philippines)
Paywall: You’re outta here, Coconuts stories are free for all
We have removed our paywall on all Coconuts stories. This does not mean the end of COCO+ Membership at all, but the value proposition is changing.
Rather than being a transactional subscription – whereby you pay for access to content – it is now a true membership program – whereby Coconuts stories are free for everyone but super-fans can monetarily support our independent journalism, and get added member benefits.
If you'd like to support Coconuts, you can become a COCO+ Member for as little as US$5 per year. Thank you!