Patients evacuated from Yangon General Hospital fire

Firefighters inside Yangon General Hospital. Photo: Myanmar Fire Services Department
Firefighters inside Yangon General Hospital. Photo: Myanmar Fire Services Department

Around 60 patients were evacuated from Yangon General Hospital last night after a fire broke out in the cancer ward. There were no reported deaths or injuries.

According to Myanmar state media, the fire was caused by an overheated electrical outlet in a minor operating room in the cancer outpatient department. The flames spread to wooden beams in the ceiling and to other wires.

Firefighters were called when patients and staff saw smoke coming from the room. When they arrived, they vacuumed the smoke out of the building and extinguished the fire within 30 minutes.

The fire caused an estimated K375,000 (US$253) in damage.

Officials from the Nuclear Energy Department under the Ministry of Education confirmed there was no radiological danger.

Yangon General Hospital was built by colonizers and opened in 1905.

Coconuts has journalists on the ground in eight cities working hard to publish true stories that matter. You can support our work by becoming a COCO+ Member or making a Patron payment.

READ MORE

CITY: YANGONCATEGORY: NEWSSUB-CATEGORIES: URBAN DEVELOPMENT

By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

Send this to a friend