Kitchen fire damages Chinatown temple

Fire fighters fight a fire in a Chinatown temple on Jan. 1, 2018. Photo: Myanmar Fire Services Department
Fire fighters fight a fire in a Chinatown temple on Jan. 1, 2018. Photo: Myanmar Fire Services Department

A fire broke out in one of the many “family temples” in Yangon’s Chinatown district yesterday, causing significant damage to the temple’s interior.

The fire, situated at the corner of Maha Bandoola Road and Bo Ywe Road in Latha Township, spread from an untended charcoal stove that was cooking a pot of noodles in the temple’s kitchen. The fire grew when it came into contact with leaky gas canisters, according to fire fighters.

A total of 23 fire engines were dispatched to the scene, and the fire was extinguished after 30 minutes. Fire fighters were under pressure to extinguish the fire quickly because fires can spread quickly in the densely populated Chinatown.

The area is home to a large concentration of temples built by individual families of immigrants who came to Yangon from China’s Fujian Province in the early 20th century. Only members of the original founding family can be members of each temple.

The temples, known in Hokkien as kongsi, are used to host family celebrations and funerals and to commemorate Chinese holidays.

Coconuts has journalists on the ground in eight cities working hard to publish true stories that matter. You can support our work by becoming a COCO+ Member or making a Patron payment.

READ MORE

CITY: YANGONCATEGORY: NEWSSUB-CATEGORIES: RELIGION

By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR

Send this to a friend