Gas explosion on Thein Phyu road destroys restaurant, apartments

A restaurant, medical clinic and at least 5 apartments were gutted by a blaze sparked by a gas explosion on Thein Phyu Road last night.

According to the Red Cross, one firefighter was wounded tackling the flames, which spread from Shwe Pyi Soe restaurant in Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township at around 6pm and burned for almost two hours.

No other injuries were reported.

The fire started at Shwe Pyi Soe restaurant on Thein Phyu Road. Photo: Aung Naing Soe/ Coconuts Yangon

One firefighter was wounded tackling the blaze, according to the Red Cross. Photo: Aung Naing Soe / Coconuts Yangon

The blaze was extinguished at around 7:30pm. Photo: Aung Naing Soe / Coconuts Yangon

Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!



Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on