The Health Ministry said yesterday it had quarantined an additional 800 migrant workers after detecting COVID-19 among them in a dorm it had just certified as clear of the virus.
Coming just days after the ministry said the disease had been eliminated from all such facilities, the announcement did not specify which dorm it had resurfaced in, but added that there are now 22,800 workers in quarantine who will be tested when their isolation period ends.
The announcement was made in last night’s daily COVID-19 report, which saw a total of 42 new cases. Thirty of those were workers residing in dormitories and mostly linked to known clusters. Contact tracing is underway for the remaining cases.
The 12 other new cases reported yesterday involved 11 individuals who had arrived from abroad as well as a Singaporean who contracted COVID-19 locally and is linked to a previously confirmed case.
The Health Ministry said Monday that it had completed clearing all worker dormitories. The Manpower Ministry officially declared all worker dormitories cleared of the virus Tuesday, except for the 17 standalone blocks operating as quarantine facilities. No explanation was given for why its reappearance less than 48 hours later.
Many migrant workers have been allowed to resume work, including those in the construction sector. The Manpower Ministry also said yesterday it would begin a trial this month to allow small groups of workers residing in dormitories to go out for recreation and errands on their days off.
Fast. Funny. Digital. We produce creativity that delights and influences customers. Join forces with us to slay buzzwords, rise above the noise, and sow the seeds of something great.