A family’s dinner out ended on a sour note when some of them were hospitalized after eating at a popular buffet restaurant in Metro Manila’s San Juan City.
Facebook user Karessa Mae Bulay Limpot shared the incident on Facebook yesterday, complete with photos of her family checked in at an unnamed hospital.
She said that members of her family suffered from acute kidney failure due to severe dehydration brought about by acute gastroenteritis, allegedly after eating at Chef Laudico Guevarra’s on Aug. 19.
Guevarra’s is a popular restaurant that offers all-you-can-eat meals and is owned by well-known chef Roland Laudico.
“At first, we did not really want to resort to social media publicity as we wanted to sort things out in a discreet way,” Limpot wrote in her post, saying she initially had no intention of calling them out publicly.
“However, due to the fact that a week has passed and all we heard were just mere ‘false assurances,’ we should not be kept silent.”
Her post has made the rounds online and now has more than 8,000 shares, and 6,000 plus comments.
If you’re wondering why such a big deal is being made out of an allegedly bad meal, this isn’t a tummy ache that’s being alleged here.
According to Limpot, her father’s and sister’s kidneys shut down and her father even had to undergo dialysis. She herself was also hospitalized and her mother and brother also experienced stomach problems. She said that most of them were diagnosed with cholera vibrio.
Before sharing on social media, Limpot said that they had already contacted representatives from Guevarra’s who were, at least at first, very responsive.
“[They] even told us that all the members of the family should have ourselves checked, since according to them, ‘our health is their priority.'”
However, when the family and their lawyer asked to meet in person, no one from the restaurant did.
“[They] contented themselves with vague phone conversations,” Limpot wrote.
In her post, she said that another family has reached out to them to say that they too suffered from stomach problems after eating at Guevarra’s.
“It’s disturbing to know that up until now, while families are suffering, reservations in said restaurant are still on-going. Please be cautious,” Limpot wrote.
However, she said that she has no “ill-motive” for sharing the incident. “Just eat at your own risk,” she said in Filipino and English.
Coconuts Manila has reached out to Limpot, but she said in a Facebook message that she has been advised by the family’s lawyer to not share any more information about the incident.
We also called Guevarra’s, but was told by their reservation head, Dahlia Nuñez, that while their marketing team was busy and she was unable to provide information about the incident, the restaurant plans to issue a statement soon.