Marawi update: Military clears 60 more Maute strongholds

AFP PHOTO / RICHEL UMEL

Sporadic gunfire continued to be heard in Marawi on Sunday as government troops pressed on with the hunt for the remaining members of the Maute group occupying the city.

The military said in the past 48 hours, they cleared 60 more buildings previously used as strongholds by the terrorists.

They said troops are now hunting down the last 60 Maute group members and they are closing in on the battle’s “center of gravity.”

Based on information on the ground, the military said Abdullah, one of the Maute brothers, is still leading the Islamic State-linked terrorists.

Marawi City remains on lock down as firefights between state troops and terrorists continue, the military said.

Authorities said they can not soften security measures yet because their main concern is the safety of innocent civilians.

Tomorrow marks the eighth week of fighting between government troops and the IS-linked terrorist groups in Marawi. The military said yesterday that a total of 537 have been killed in the fighting.

Re-published from ABS-CBN News

Covering what's happening in Manila since 2012. Send tips.

Leave a Reply

MOST POPULAR