Manila Water COO resigns following water crisis controversy 

Mandaluyong City residents line up for water rationed by Manila Water on March 11. (Photo: George Calvelo/ABS-CBN News)
Mandaluyong City residents line up for water rationed by Manila Water on March 11. (Photo: George Calvelo/ABS-CBN News)

After more than 20 years with the company, Manila Water Chief Operating Officer Geodino V. Carpio has resigned following the controversial water crisis that hit Metro Manila last month.

Manila Water confirmed this today, however, the water concessionaire did not divulge any information about why the executive will be leaving, The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported.

“We’ve disclosed the information because we’ve sent a letter to the Securities and Exchange Commission which accepted the resignation of our Chief Operating Officer Mr. Geodino Carpio. (The resignation) is effective today,” Manila Water Communications Planning and Tactical Development Manager Dittie Galang told radio station Dobol B in Filipino earlier today.

She also said that Carpio will stay on until the end of the month.

At 57 years old, ABS-CBN News reported that Carpio had opted for early retirement.

Carpio joined Manila Water in 1997 as chief information officer. Apart from being COO, he was also the president of the Manila Water Foundation and of Manila Water Total Solutions.

Manila Water is the water provider for Metro Manila’s east zone, which experienced hours-long service interruptions last month. This affected about 1.2 million customers including homes, restaurants, and hospitals. Manila Water blamed it on the drought but also admitted that their solutions for the El Niño season were delayed.

The government’s Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) said the crisis was caused by higher demand for water, while some believe the crisis could have been avoided if the MWSS did not allegedly close a bypass in Quezon City’s La Mesa Dam. The government agency, however, denies that they ordered to close the bypass.

Carpio will be replaced by acting COO Abelardo P. Basilio who will remain the group director for strategic asset management and the data protection officer.

Our primary mission at Coconuts is to inform and entertain our audience. To do that, we need the support of our readers. If you read Coconuts often, perhaps you might consider joining our COCO+ Membership program? You’ll be supporting local news and joining a community of like-minded individuals across Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, and beyond. And in addition to unlimited Coconuts content, you’ll get an ad-free experience, exclusive giveaways and discounts, free access to events, and a stylish tote bag. Become a COCO+ Member for less than US$1 per week. Thanks for reading!

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR