Police still hunting three IS terror suspects who allegedly planned to attack entertainment outlets

Earlier this week, news emerged that Malaysian counter-terrorism police had arrested four individuals with links to the Islamic State who were planning a series of attacks on home soil. The so-called wolf pack cell had planned to assassinate four high-profile individuals, and attack non-Muslim places of worship.

Today, Malaysia’s Inspector General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador told media that three more men are still and large, naming the individuals for the first time, and explaining that his officers are “still tracking them down.”

He has asked anyone with any relevant information on the suspects – two Malaysians hailing from Bedong Kedah, and an Indonesian man last living in Banting, Selangor, to contact authorities. The two local men have been named as Syazani Mahzan, 21, and Muhamad Nuurul Amin Azizan, 27, while their foreign counterpart has been named as Fatir Tir.

The men were allegedly planning to attack entertainment outlets throughout the city.

On Monday police revealed that they had arrested four militants linked to the Islamic State (IS) group who were in possession of explosives and planned to attack non-Muslim places of worship.

The suspects — a Malaysian who led the group, two Rohingya from Myanmar and one Indonesian — were detained last week in raids around Kuala Lumpur and in eastern Terengganu state.

At the time, the IGP revealed their plan to assassinate a series of VIPs, but did not give any details about who the high-profile individuals were. Police also seized six improvised explosive devices, a pistol and 15 bullets, he said.

The planned attacks were to avenge the much-publicized death of a Muslim fireman during riots at an Indian temple outside Kuala Lumpur last year, police said.


By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

MOST POPULAR