Police yesterday arrested a 64-year-old truck driver they believe is the man seen engaging in sex acts with an underage girl in a video that has circulated widely in recent days on the WhatsApp messaging service.
Speaking at a press conference this afternoon, State CID chief ACP Wan Rukman Wan Hassan said that earlier media reports saying the man had surrendered willingly were incorrect, and that authorities had actually stopped the man as he drove along the North-South Expressway near Gopeng at about 9:20pm.
“The suspect, who was heading towards Padang Besar to send a consignment of goods, did not resist arrest and was cooperative,” he told reporters. “He is now in remand till July 15.”
Wan Rukman said the man had taken the girl out on three occasions in June, having recently become acquainted with her family. While her age has not been released, she is still in school, and the youngest of three siblings. Police are still trying to determine if the incident was the first between the two.
According to The Star, in the three-minute, 30-second clip shared on WhatsApp, a man can be seen in the backseat of a car with a girl who looks about 13. Pants pulled down, he repeatedly asks the topless girl to touch his genitals. Uncomfortable, she asks the man to stop to no avail as he promises to buy her goods and continues to perform sex acts on her.
Separately, a police report filed at a Seremban station, purportedly by the suspect’s own children, claims that since the video went viral, the man’s son had been threatened and that the family lived in fear of retaliation as their car’s license plate can be clearly seen in the footage.
It reads: At around 10am I was at home with my brother at my Seremban address when we received many WhatsApp videos from mine and my brother’s friends. The video showed that a man who is supposedly my father raping a teenage girl in Taman Desa Temiang in a car.
Both my number and my brother’s number were included in the video and we have been receiving many threats on WhatsApp. There have been threats to come to our house to beat us up. We are making this police report because we fear for our safety.
Separately, earlier media reports which purported to show video of the man’s family car being set ablaze by a group of vigilantes have been debunked. Police are now saying the incident shown in the video is completely unrelated to this case.
Editor’s Note: This story has been amended in lieu of additional police information