We’re seeking an Editor in Chief to lead our team of writers and editors at Coconuts. The right candidate will be witty, ambitious, articulate, and tech-savvy with at least a decade of experience working as a journalist at leading news publications.
This role is offered on a hybrid remote basis out of our Singapore, Bangkok, or Hong Kong offices.
Grow the audience size and editorial quality of Coconuts by leading the publication of impactful and original stories about Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Manila, KL, Jakarta, Bali, and Yangon.
- Leader of Editorial department, including all editorial strategy, systems, staffing, and coverage decision-making.
- Regularly report and write impactful and high quality stories.
- Devise and implement overall editorial strategy. What type of stories should we do? How many per day or per week? What mixture of news vs. lifestyle vs. food vs. viral, etc.?
- Hands-on management of daily news decision-making. The final decision maker on what stories we run and why. Approve stories from staff and commission stories from freelancers.
- Manage and implement editorial systems and workflows.
- Help manage Coconuts social accounts, most importantly Facebook and Twitter.
- Edit Coconuts.co homepage ensuring freshness and aiming to restore the homepage as a destination.
- Act as editorial head of HR, being a first point of contact for editorial staff coordination. Handle all hiring (and termination) of Coconuts Media editorial staff to maximize performance and achieve goals
- Update Coconuts Media editor’s guide and style manual.
- Promote journalistic best practices and ethics.
- Manage monthly freelance budgets and expenses for each city, working with respective editors.
- Act as lead editorial representative from Coconuts to outside media and the world.
- Aim to speak at conferences, appear on television, write stories, and offer commentary to promote Coconuts Media.
- Lead editorial coordination with Tech department. Work with editors to distill and offer feedback on design and function of website from an editorial perspective.
- Occasionally coordinate with Coconuts TV team on original video productions.
The right candidate will have:
- 10+ years of experience in senior editorial positions at leading international publications
- Deep understanding of current events and culture in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong
- Strategic and creative mindset, with skills to execute ideas that fulfil our editorial mission
- Excellent English writing, editing, and reporting skills
- Strong management and leadership skills, most importantly the ability to set team goals and achieve them
- Digital native with understanding of social media, SEO, email marketing, and content management systems
- Strong commitment to journalistic ethics and best practices
- University degree
Apply by sending your CV to email@example.com