Map Marker
Tai Po

Tai Po District, in the northeastern New Territories, is made up to two distinct halves – Tai Po proper and Sai Kung North. These two communities have a long history of alliance, and were eventually paired up when it came to determining Hong Kong’s 18 districts. In the Tang Dynasty, when the district was named Huizhouren, it was famous for its pearl fisheries. Remnants of the district’s history are still visible today, with a marketplace built by the famed Tang clan, now known as the Tai Po Old Market, considered a major landmark of the area. Once a modest village town, Tai Po was an important administrative centre of the New Territories during the colonial period, and become gradually more developed after the establishment of the Kowloon-Canton Railway in 1910. That’s not to say that Tai Po has lost its quiet charm, however. Having retained a large amount of green and undeveloped land, Tai Po has great biodiversity, and houses Hong Kong’s premier conservation facility, the Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden. City-dwellers looking to escape urban life can visit its many coves, parks, and gardens, hike to the breathtakingly beautiful waterfalls like Bride’s Pool and Mirror Pool, or make a wish at the Lam Tsuen Wishing Trees.

BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now