A fifth case of the Chinese coronavirus was confirmed publicly by health officials today.
A 33-year-old female Chinese tourist visiting Bangkok was infected with the SARS-like disease and is now under quarantine at a hospital. She joins three other Chinese travelers and a Thai woman to become the fifth patient with the potentially fatal virus in the realm.
According to Satit Pitudecha of the Public Health Ministry, the woman arrived Tuesday to Bangkok with her 7-year-old daughter, who tested negative for the disease.
From the information available, it did not sound like the woman was detected at the airport but had traveled on into town before being diagnosed.
She’s now being treated at Ratchavithi Hospital near the Victory Monument. She reportedly had symptoms of flu and a temperature of 37C.
Earlier this month, Thailand became the first country outside of China to see an infection and it now accounts for the most, with five confirmed cases as of today.
Satit told the public not to be alarmed as all of the public health institutions have been prepared to deal with the disease that has killed 25 people in China, where it originated in the city of Wuhan.
China has expanded efforts to seal off the affected area to more cities near Wuhan, including Huanggang and Ezhou, affecting at least 20 million people. Chinese New Year celebrations have been canceled nationwide, including Beijing’s major festivities. The World Health Organization said yesterday the outbreak does not yet constitute a global health emergency, citing the limited number of cases abroad.