Tabanan: 5,000 baby chicks roasted alive in coop fire

A total of 5,000 chicks suffered an untimely death on Wednesday in Tabanan, reportedly roasted in a fire. 

The fire set to I Ketut Sumitra’s chicken coop in Gunung Salak Village, East Selemadeg, Tabanan at about 11 am. 

The exact cause of the fire is not yet certain, but it’s speculated to have come from a heater that was using a 3 kilogram LPG. The heater allegedly fell on the floor and chaff in the coop purportedly quickly caught fire. 

Strong winds helped the fire spread rapidly. Approximately 5,000 baby chicks in Sumitra’s enclosure, that were just two days old, perished in the flames.  

“As a result of the incident, the victim suffered losses of about Rp 260 million,” East Selemadeg Police Chief I Made Sunarsa told Tribun Bali. Never mind the poor chickens who suffered as well, burned alive. 

In addition to the chicken coop, the fire also started spreading to Sumitra’s neighbors in the north, but the fire was ultimately put out in a joint effort amongst local residents, members of the police force, and Tabanan firefighters. 

Photo: Flickr

Support Coconuts and rep your city

Now you can wear your love of Coconuts proudly across your chest. That’s right, we’re getting into the merch business with the launch of our official online store, The Coconuts Shop.

Our first product is that ultimate wardrobe mainstay: the white T-shirt.

If you want to rep your city, we’ve also launched Coconuts City Logo Tees for Bangkok, Manila, Singapore, Hong Kong, KL, Jakarta, Bali, and Yangon.

They’re all sold exclusively at The Coconuts Shop – at a special introductory price of S$29 until Sep. 30, 2020!

READ MORE

CITY: BALICATEGORY: NEWSSUB-CATEGORIES: WEATHER

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR

Send this to a friend