An explosive fire raged in a Seminyak restaurant in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The fire at Oberoi area restaurant, La Sicilia Bali, is believed to have been caused by exploding gas cylinders.
Thankfully there were no reported fatalities from the fire.
The fire at the five-story building was first noticed by security guards, who heard an explosion coming from the second floor.
The explosion was followed by smoke and flames and within minutes, the fire quickly tore through to the second floor.
“Floors three to five were still under construction. While the first and second floors were already in operation,” NusaBali quoted a Kuta Police officer as saying.
Security called firefighters, who arrived at the scene by 5 am. At least nine fire engines were deployed to the scene and were able to extinguish the flames by 6:15 am, according to reports.
Kuta Police Chief Comr. I Wayan Sumara said the restaurant, originally just opening the first floor, became operational in December 2015 and the second floor opened up about three months ago.
“Yes, it’s possible that there was a gas leak on the second floor that caught fire,” Sumara told NusaBali.
Police are still investigating, however, whether the fire could have been planned or if it was entirely accidental.
The restaurant’s manager, Made Agus Darmawan, told police that the restaurant had been closed at the time of the incident.
“We normally close at 2 am. At closing time, we turn of all electricity, AC, candles, everything is shutdown. But I don’t know for sure if all had been shut off last night. I leave it to the police to resolve,” NusaBali quoted Darmawan as saying.