The only suspect responsible for a fire that partially destroyed a traditional hut in Bali may have flown away. Literally.
At 9am on Saturday, a Bale Piasan, an open-air pavilion with a thatched roof, caught on fire in Gianyar’s Sukawati District. The fire mostly burned the straw roof before firefighters were called to the scene and doused the flame.
Police investigation into the fire suggested arson, but not one committed by a human being.
“The fire is believed to have been sparked by a lit incense stick, which was carried by a sparrow that was building a nest on the roof,” Sukawati Police Chief Made Iriawan said.
The owner of the Bale reportedly accrued IDR50 million in losses from the fire.
As for the bird, it’s probably making a nest elsewhere, because it doesn’t know where its home is — let alone its soul.