After reports that Australian Sara Connor had plans to lodge an appeal against her four-year sentence for her role in the death of a Bali policeman, international news outlets are now reporting that the Australian will be sticking with her sentence after all.
Connor and British boyfriend David Taylor were tried over the murder of Bali cop Wayan Sudarsa, whose bloodied body was found on Kuta Beach in August 2016. While Taylor, who was sentenced to six years, admitted to fatally injuring Sudarsa, saying it was out of “self-defense”, Connor maintained that she tried to split the two men up.
Throughout her trial, Connor has insisted that she’s innocent and her lawyers last week were quoted as saying that she would appeal her four-year sentence that was handed down on March 13.
But now Connor is said to be too “scared and traumatized” by the Indonesian justice system to risk an appeal. Under the law here, Connor could wind up with a heavier sentence under appeal—which is exactly what prosecutors want, as they originally recommended she get eight years.
Connor’s attorney, Robert Khuana said he was confident the Aussie could win an appeal and get released, but his client was too worried about ending up with more time.
“We believe that we will win in the High Court but everything depends on Sara … she decided … that she doesn’t want to appeal,” Khuana said, as quoted by AAP.
Though prosecutors did say on Friday that they would be appealing the sentence, which they see as too lenient, so this may not be the end of it for Connor.